There’s a rising consciousness of being kinder to the planet and whether the footprints we leave behind leave a plus or minus sign. One of the added benefits is this: eco-friendly and natural homemade gifts are becoming more and more fashionable!
We’re growing more aware of the knock-on effects of mass production driving mass consumption. We crave living within our means, finding everyday happiness in simpler pursuits – and we weigh up the ‘cradle-to-grave’ impacts of what we buy. Hopefully in time to save the world around us.
The fewer cheap, knocked-off, ripped-off and thoughtless products we choose to consume, the less will (eventually) be produced.
And making beautiful and thoughtful handmade things ties in with all this.
So let’s get on with giving you some ideas on how create some deliciously scented gifts using your Young Living essential oils – divinely pure and made with integrity from Seed to Seal® (check it out in this short video). Essential oils are potent, so as always, please follow directions on the bottle and the usual guidelines for safe use of authentic essential oils.
We’re keeping the production line easy by choosing a fragrance theme: Ginger!
Gently stimulating and energetic, ginger (Zingiber officinale) is a bringer of courage and our key essential oil for these gift ideas.
Please note: it’s vital that you only add essential oils to recipes and drinks when the label clearly indicates you can do so. Not all oils are of the impeccable quality and genuine purity needed. And while Young Living’s quality is assured, even then not all essential oils are meant by nature to go down the hatch. Please don’t be blasé: check the labels and follow the usual guidelines for safe use.
Now, that’s the housekeeping done: let’s get baking, blending and spritzing!
Gluten-Free Gingerbread Men (or Whatever Shape You Fancy)
Recipe adapted from The Healthy Chef . Makes around 10 gingerbread people. Double the batch so you can keep some for yourself!
- 280 g (2 ¾ cups) organic almond meal
- 3-4 drops Young Living Ginger essential oil (to taste) (or ¼ tsp ground ginger)
- 1-2 drops Young Living Cinnamon essential oil (or 1 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1-2 drops Young Living Nutmeg essential oil (or ¼ tsp ground nutmeg)
- ½ teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 4 (60 g) fresh soft pitted dates or dried pitted dates soaked in Young Living NingXia Red® until softened
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil, or your favourite nut oil
- 40 g Young Living Blue Agave Nectar, organic honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla bean extract
- 1 free range egg white
- Greaseproof paper
- Combine almond meal, baking powder, essential oils and dates in a food processor. Wazz until combined and the mixture is crumbly
- Taste at this point and add up to a few more drops of essential oils if needed depending on how intense you’d like the ginger and spice flavours for your gingerbread treats
- Add the remaining ingredients and wazz again until a soft dough forms
- Lay out a sheet of greaseproof/baking paper, place the dough ball on it, place another sheet on top and flatten lightly and evenly with your hands or a rolling pin to about 3 mm thick
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up the dough or freeze for 20 minutes if you’re pressed for time
- Cut out into shapes and place them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Bake at 150 C / 300F for 30 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Go to town decorating with melted white chocolate in a piping bag or ziplock bag with a corner cut off to create a piping bag.
Gingerbread Sugar Body Scrub with Essential Oils
Recipe adapted from Mommy Musings
- 1 cup raw organic sugar
- 1 cup brown organic sugar
- A few generous grinds of Himalayan or Celtic salt
- ¾ cup Young Living V-6 Enhanced Vegetable Complex or any pure carrier oil
- ½ tsp organic vanilla extract
- 20 drops Young Living Ginger essential oil or ½ tsp ground ginger
- 20 drops Young Living Nutmeg essential oil or ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preserve jar/s or Mason-style glass jar/s: one large or multiple small jars
Combine all ingredients except for the carriers oil. Gradually add this until the scrub is your desired consistency. Spoon into the jars, seal and jazz up with a ribbon or twine.
Ginger Lavender Bliss Bath Bombs (makes 4) with Essential Oils
- 4 tsp organic dried lavender flowers or any pretty organic dried petals (optional)
- 1 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- ½ cup citric acid powder
- ½ tblesp organic almond/olive oil or Young Living V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex
- 8 drops Young Living Ginger essential oil*
- 3-7 drops Young Living Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) essential oil
- Moulded silicon cupcake tray with 4 oz cupcake capacity
- Water in a spray bottle
- If using dried flowers, sprinkle them evenly into the silicone moulds
- Combine baking soda and citric acid in a large, completely dry bowl
- Whisk until combined
- Add essential oil and your vegetable oil of choice then mix very well with a dry spoon
- Moisten with just a few light sprays of water and continue mixing well with the spoon, adding only enough water to make the mixture the consistency of slightly wet sand so it clumps in your hand when you squeeze it
- Transfer even quantities to your moulds with a spoon and pack tightly
- Allow to sit for several hours (or overnight)
- Turn carefully out of the moulds, put into an airtight glass jar if you’re storing them to keep, or package up as you wish for gifts (sooner rather than later)
DIY Scented Drawer Liners with Essential Oils
- Roll/s of pretty wrapping paper (look for ones whose roll widths are close to typical drawer from front to back)
- 125mL / 4oz glass spray bottle
- 2 drops Young Living Ginger essential oil
- 2 drops Young Living Cedarwood essential oil
- 2 drops Young Living Lavender essential oil
- Or 6 drops Young Living Stress Away™ essential oil blend
Being sprayed onto paper, not onto your body, feel free to be more liberal for a more intense fragrance drift from the paper. And again, these oil choices are just a guide. Substitute with your favourite singles and blends. You’ll need to find a spot where you can spread out as the paper needs a little drying time.
- Roll out the paper and cut sheets to an average drawer length
- Turn them pattern-side down
- Add your chosen essential oils to the bottle and fill with warm water
- Shake the bottle well and spray the backs of your paper sheets
- Allow to dry completely
Bundle into sixes, roll and wind ribbon or twine around them. Again: remember to keep some for yourself! Cedarwood and lavender are fabulous additions to your wardrobe for keeping munchers at bay.
DIY Ginger Exotic Woods Eau de Parfum for Him and Her with Essential Oils
- 30 mL vodka (100% proof if you can / if less, you’ll have to shake the bottle before each use. Increase the amount of vodka to create a lighter scented Eau de Cologne style)
- 7 drops Young Living Coriander essential oil
- 12 drops Young Living Ginger essential oil
- 5 drops Young Living Copaiba or Cedarwood essential oil
Use a dropper to put these into a clean, dry amber glass spray bottle. Allow to percolate for at least 48 hours and preferably a couple of weeks, shaking the bottle daily, during which time the fragrance will settle in. TIP: Put the bottle next to the bathroom sink while percolating and shake it every time you wash your hands. I suspect you’ll find it hard to give this one away!